Acne is one of the most common skin problems that affect individuals irrespective of gender and age. While some people suffer from acne during puberty, many struggle with acne scars throughout their lives. Acne scars can have a very bad impact on people as they can lower their confidence and make them feel insecure. However, fortunately, people nowadays, don’t have to live with their acne scars, unlike in the yesteryears. With acne scar treatments such as Fractional CO2 Laser one can bid goodbye to their acne scars. However, one should keep in mind to get such treatments from reputed cosmetic clinics such as Saraswat Hospital for the best results.
What is Fractional CO2 Laser Treatment?
Fractional CO2 laser treatment is a non-invasive skin treatment for treating acne scars. With the help of laser beams, the physicians reduce the appearance of acne scars. To explain clearly, in the affected area, doctors send laser microbeams to create tiny punctures. These microscopic holes on the skin trigger the body to produce more collagen that heals the tiny wounds completely and allows new skin to develop naturally in the place. The new skin covers the wounds and reduces the acne scarring and adds a healthy and glowing look to the area. Since the process is non-surgical and allows the skin to heal naturally, it is one of the safest acne scar treatments available.
The effectiveness of the Fractional CO2 Laser Treatment lies in the fragmented nature of the procedure. As it is a spot treatment, the laser beams are not passed from all parts of the skin. This boosts the recovery time and the effectiveness of the results increases.
Essential Dos & Don’ts Before and After the Procedure
A patient undergoing Fractional CO2 laser treatment must follow a few instructions before and after the procedure.
- Notify the doctor if you have a history of cold sores so that you can take medications before the treatment day
- Eat a light breakfast before the treatment
- Make sure that someone is there to accompany you post the treatment
- Wear comfortable clothes that are loose fitting
- Do make sure to bring a large hat with you when you visit
- Don’t expose yourself to the sun. Keep in mind to avoid the sun one week before the treatment. Always make sure to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
- Don’t apply products that can irritate the skin such as AHA’s and retinoids at least one week before the appointment.
- Female patients should not wear make-up, lotion, or perfumes around or on the area they will receive the treatment. Male patients can shave in the morning but should not apply any lotion or aftershave on or around the area on the appointment day.
- Don’t wear contact lenses. They should be removed before the procedure. If required patients can bring their eyeglasses.
- For the first 2 to 3 days, apply an ice pack wrapped in clean and soft cloth to the area that has received treatments. Apply these 1 to 5 times a day. After 3 days, apply the ice pack as and when required.
- Gently wash the area with diluted white vinegar and water in the morning and the doctor’s prescribed soap at night or as suggested by the doctor.
- Only apply doctor’s prescribed ointments.
- Use distilled water to clean the treated area.
- Keep the treated area covered with a band-aid and change it two times a day after cleaning the area.
- Avoid direct sunlight.
- Don’t rub, pick or scratch your eyes.
- Avoid heavy exercise for a minimum of three days.
- Avoid salt food.
- Don’t apply make-up or sunscreen for at least three days.
- Don’t apply any over-the-counter ointments to the area.
- Don’t use sauna, swimming pools, hot tubs, or go for a bath till 1 to 2 weeks after the treatment.
- Don’t shave the treated area.
After going through the procedure, keep the affected area moisturised. This will help the skin to heal faster and better.
Fractional CO2 laser treatment effectively fights acne scars and also gives you rejuvenated, radiant skin. When you decide to go for such acne scar treatment, it is always better to know about the necessary dos and don’ts so that you can prepare yourself beforehand. However, make sure you choose a safe and respectable clinic like Saraswat Hospital for the best results.