What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia, derived from the Greek words “Gynec” and “Mastos” translates to male breasts. It is a condition where men see excessive development of the breast tissue. The male breast volume is a composition of the glandular (stromal and ductal) tissues, and when there is an increase in the adipocytes or fatty tissue, one faces Gynecomastia. This condition is caused by an imbalance of the testosterone and estrogen hormones. It can affect either one or both the breasts, at times, unevenly. At Saraswat Hospital, our international-board certified Gold Medal-winning surgeons provide the best Gynecomastia treatment in Agra to treat the condition.
When does Gynecomastia Occur in Males?
Male breast enlargement, as a condition, can happen to men in different phases of their lives. These include:
- After Birth: Newborns, especially boys, are typically under the effects of the estrogen they receive from their mothers as they are developing in the womb. This means that more than half of the newborn male babies are born with the enlarged breast that goes away within a few weeks after birth.
- Puberty: At this time, usually between the age group of 12-14 years, human beings experience a change in their hormone levels. This is when Gynecomastia often hits them and tends to go away within a few months or years after puberty hits.
- Mid-Life: Gynecomastia is often at its peak in men within the age group of 50 to 80 years, and statistics state that 1 out of 4 men suffers from male breast enlargement.
As you take these into consideration, there are several other conditions that might cause Gynecomastia. This includes obesity, liver disease, the lack of nutrition in the body, the presence of tumours in the adrenal glands or testicles, hyperthyroidism, and kidney failure, among others.
How is Gynecomastia Diagnosed by Professionals?
At Saraswat Hospital, we offer our patients a comprehensive approach to Gynecomastia treatment in Agra. We follow a complete diagnosis process that includes:
- Physical Symptoms
- Breast Examination (Mammograms)
- Medical History of the patient
- Review of all Current Medication
More often than not, Gynecomastia is identified by a firm but a rubbery disk of tissue located beneath the nipples that can be moved within the breast tissue. It can be characterized by the following signs:
- Excess Localized Fat
- Excess Breast Skin
- Unilateral or Bilateral Presence
- Excess Glandular Tissue Development
The best time to visit a doctor at Saraswat Hospital for Gynecomastia treatment in Agra is when you face pain, tenderness, swelling, and even nipple discharge.
Eligibility Criteria for Undergoing Gynecomastia Treatment in Agra
Gynecomastia treatment in Agra is especially crucial if it doesn’t improve on its own and is the cause for tenderness and embarrassment. The eligibility criteria for such treatment include those men:
- Whose condition cannot be treated through alternative medications
- Who are healthy and don’t have a life-threatening disease
- Who don’t have any medical conditions that can impair the healing process
- Who don’t smoke or drink alcohol
- Who has a positive outlook and want to achieve specific goals to improve the condition
- Who have stabilized breast development (more than 13 years old)
What is the Procedure of Gynecomastia Surgery in India?
Gynecomastia Surgery in India is the process by which professionals are able to reduce the size of the male breast to reveal enhanced chest contours. The surgery can also improve the size and position of the dark skin surrounding the nipple (areola) and reduce the excess skin in the process as well. The top two techniques used for the procedure are mastectomy and liposuction-assisted mastectomy. At Saraswat Hospital, if the surgeons may seem fit, based on the condition of the patient, we also offer a combination of both these procedures to achieve the desire results.
During the liposuction assisted mastectomy, an incision is made on the margin of the nipple-areola complex and suction is used to remove the excess fat from the body, before surgically removing the excess glandular breast tissues, when required. The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia and is an outpatient procedure, following which the patients are allowed to go home the same day.
What is the Recovery Process?
As a cosmetic surgery with direct effects on the way someone looks, it becomes crucial to always consult experts even after the surgery to take a closer look at the recovery process. At Saraswat Hospital, we have a team of well-trained and skilled professionals who look after the post-surgery recovery period. The initial recovery time after a Gynecomastia Surgery in Agra, India takes almost 1 to 2 weeks. Some of the post-surgery instructions that you would have to follow to get the best results include:
- Taking it easy and avoiding all strenuous activities to facilitate healing
- Wearing a compression vest to help retraction of the skin and stop the fluid accumulation
- Not consuming alcohol or smoking for a few weeks post the surgery
- Beginning normal activities only after two weeks
As the patient follows all these instructions and is closely monitored by the team, the final results will be visible after six months as the swelling reduces, and the taut figure envisioned can be seen. The cost for a male breast enlargement treatment depends on the complexity of the procedure and the time taken to complete it for the desired results.
Frequently Asked Questions about Gynecomastia India?
Can Male Breast Reduction Correct Puffy Nipples?
At Saraswat Hospital, we customize each treatment to best suit the patient requirements from the same. When it comes to the severity of the conditions treated by our surgeons, yes, puffy nipples are part of Gynecomastia and can be treated through this surgery as well. The fundamental aim of the surgery is to contour the shape of the breasts to become more masculine-looking, and that includes making changes to the nipples as well.
Are the Results of Male Breast Reduction Permanent?
Yes, the results of male breast reduction surgery are permanent, as the tissue removed through the procedure will never return on its own. However, if the patient doesn’t make lifestyle changes and continues to take part in activities that might prompt Gynecomastia, the problem can reoccur. Future weight gain can also affect the results as the fat gets accumulated in the chest.
Will the Area be scarred After the Surgery?
As with all types of plastic or cosmetic surgery procedures, there might be minimal scarring post Gynecomastia surgery in India. However, more often than not, at Saraswat Hospital, we work with small incisions through which liposuction is performed at the bottom of the areola, leaving a discreet scar that becomes less prominent through the years.
Do the Results of the Surgery Look Natural?
At Saraswat Hospital, we have a team of experienced professionals led by a Gold Medalist plastic surgeon with more than 17 years of experience and international-board certifications to his credit to ensure that the surgery leaves a natural appearance. Since only the excess breast tissue is removed, it would only affect the chest contours and give the patients a taut figure instead of harming the entire appearance. The results look symmetrical and natural.
Some of Our Gynecomastia Surgery Results