Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Patients facing hair loss and thinned out hair benefit from this non-surgical solution for hair restoration, which is not a pharmaceutical or a drug, but a Medical Device approved by the FDA for use in plastic and reconstructive surgery as it is a biomatrix that repairs and remodels damaged tissue.
How it works?
PRP is injected into the scalp causing miniaturized hair follicles to become healthier and larger.It is loaded with growth factors that promote rapid angiogenesis and localized cell growth. It is effective in both male and female pattern hair loss, PRP has also regrown hair in alopecia area, eyebrow hypotrichosis and cases with non-hereditary hair loss.
Firstly, a blood sample is obtained which is processed to produce PRP.
A local anesthetic is then administered to completely numb the scalp treatment area.
The PRP administered via a series of injections over the scalp or in a localized treatment area such as the eyebrows or beard just as in mesotherapy.
Patients are instructed to wash their hair normally after about 8-12 hrs of the treatment which takes about 80 minutes to complete, keeping their head covered with cellophane and surgical cap as we do that for them for maximum benifits.
New and better hair growth can be seen as early as 2 months, but is typically evident between 5-8 months and will continue to improve up to a year after treatment.
At Saraswat Hospital , PRP therapy is a versatile tool in the treatment of hair loss for a number of causes including:
- Male Pattern Hair Loss are especially in the early stages of balding,or anytime there is a lot of miniaturized hair on the scalp. 3-6 sittings are recommended at an interval of 1 month each.
- Female Pattern Hair Loss are at all stages of hair loss
- Hypotrichosis (fine/reduced hairs) of the eyebrows or beard
- Alopecia Areata, Alopecia Totalis
- After Hair Transplant
- Adjuvant therapy to metabolic reasons and iron deficiency anemia.